Formed in June 09, Here Come the Belgians is a non-elite anti-team celebrating all things cross, cobbled and Belgian.
Seeking a different experience to the traditional cycling club, its aim is to harness the energy of a vibrant internet cycling community with grass roots racing and riding based around Cyclocross and Spring Classics. There is no race programme in the style of a racing team, more a collection of individual experiences through rides and racing, in whatever location a member may be, that all can share in and contribute toward.

Friday 11 July 2014

City Cross 3


Let me start with a short non cycling related story...  Last summer a famous little Disco beat combo, by the name of Chic, played my local Bingley Music Live music festival.  Now, being a bit of a Disco Diva myself, I was rather excited by this.  The day came and it was simple amazing!  Everyone was up and dancing and generally 'mad for it', and I knew, once the last note had drifted across the arena, and Nile was rather unceremoniously dragged off stage, I had witnessed a life changing event.  I looked around the arena, slightly dazed, and I could see others seemingly experiencing the same emotions as I.  People were smiling, people were crying, people were hugging, talking, laughing... etc.  I realised at that moment nothing would ever be the same again!  No other band would ever make me feel so again!  It was a new beginning, my Ground Zero.  Everything would start from here from now!





So, what's all that waffle got to do with City Cross 3?  Well, many of the emotions I experienced during Chic's gig last year, I experienced at City Cross!  It was just so good, and just such good fun, it's difficult to see an event anytime in the near future coming anywhere near for me. City Cross was my cycling 'new beginning!'  Everything starts afresh from here!


The previous Citycross - No.2 - at Piece Hall Halifax, was good - very good - but this most recent episode - No.3 -  took the fun factor to another level.  Set right in the heart of one of Leeds' essentially run down but in the throws of massive regeneration city center suburbs - Holbeck - the races twisted and snaked around a very compact, flat, and well surfaced course, between buildings associated with the regeneration.  It also took in cobbles, wooden berm and whoops, a couple of little jumps, a run up/wooden scaffold ramp down... and a couple of beer gardens! Clever course design.  The same Moto format was used here as at Halifax.


Morvélo CityCross 3 from Morvélo Bicycle Apparel on Vimeo.

I didn't really make much of an impact during my Moto, and just raced around as fast as I could to a comfortable last place!  It's all about the taking part though eh?  Even with my less than inspiring display in my Moto, I was still able to jump straight into the 'last chance saloon' race immediately after!  Still huffing and puffing and lathered in sweat like a Grand National winner, I was straight back on the start line.... and off! Another lung bursting 20mins of agony!  However, I did a little better this time - but I was racing against a Werewolf on one of those bikes with super fat tyres!


Kit wise, I must say I was very happy with my On One Pompy SS with virtually smooth 28c hybrid tyres this time.  A more or less totally cobbled/flagged/tarmaced lapped negated the need for knobbly tyres, and the Pompy was fantastic in the bends with Guy Martin esqe leans achievable (well, in my head at least!)

I didn't strictly qualify for the final, but the organisers were sweet enough to say I could race it if I wished. But Fathering duties, and a few cheeky beers, and just kicking back were, by now, my over whelming urges... so that's what I did.  I couldn't have wished for a better day out.

I wonder what City Cross 4 will bring......

3 comments:

  1. "being a bit of a Disco Diva myself"

    ;-)

    Did you know that Nile Rodgers and Prince recently performed David Bowie's Let's dance? (Nile hat played guitar on Let's Dance and produced the album). Unfortunately we can't watch the video over here in Germany due to copyright reasons but maybe it works for you?

    http://www.davidbowie.com/news/nile-rodgers-prince-do-bowie-essence-53256

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool - no I can't see it either. Says the teaser has been removed due to copyright!

    Seem like they have battened down the hatches on this one!

    But I will be keeping an eye out in the future.

    Ta

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this with all of us. All the best, way to go.

    Custom Wheel Builds

    ReplyDelete